Have you heard of Swiss knives? They perform multiple functions right from cutting nails to chopping food. However, when you are adventuring outdoor for long durations, you need something more sturdy and reliable. Knives are one of the most important safety tools to carry in your survival kit. It can be used either for cutting food, repairing tents, cutting wood, cords, or even come handy in any type of emergencies. These knives are different from regular knives, and hence need to be selected as per your requirements. Fixed blade or folding blade knives, pocket knives, knives with lock blading, or even according to the shapes of its tips and spines are some of the points to be considered.
If you are travelling with your family, a fixed blade might be dangerous to carry with your kids around. Hence, foldable hunting knives would be a better and safer option. There are different brands like CALDIPREE, Cubee, ACUTAS, Grand Harvest, Leatherman, Klink, Martand, JAYEM, Indo – which provide knives based on different criteria. The materials used in these brands are durable like stainless steel, High-Carbon steel, while their handles are steadier which are made of wood, rubber, and plastic. The tips of these pocket knives are pointy and spines have a nice curve – providing extra protection while handling and cutting.
• Pocket knives are the most convenient options for backpacking and hiking as they don’t take much space and are handy for emergencies. Their edges are protected, although they are not suitable for a tent repair kit where sharper knifes with fixed blades are preferred.
• Fixed blade knives are a little heavy as they also need an extra cover to protect their sharpened edges. However, they are very strong and provide the ergonomic comfort.
• Some hunting knives have a locking blade which locks the blade from accidentally folding it down to its closed position. Whereas, others can be opened single-handedly. Such knives have a mechanism of a notch push the knife easily with just a thumb. Others have an assisted opening system which are equipped with a safety lock.
• Different shapes like drop-point, clip-point, tanto blades, spear-point are some of the features which enhance the cutting tasks. Drop-point shaped knives generally have a thick tip which helps in preventing sudden punctures. Whereas, clip-point shaped knives are for sudden puncturing and a detailed cutting. These are a good fit for a tent repair kit.
• Steel must be corrosion free to make the knives last longer and for further trips. Toughness is also another important so that it doesn’t slip while grinding wood.
Most important part of carrying a knife is its convenience and safety. You can purchase regular or camping pocket knives from a wide range of brands at Paytm Mall. These knives are a must for your survival kits as you take on the challenges in the wild. Moreover, you can bundle up these knives with other things like ropes, headlamps, and gloves to ensure you step out in the wild fully geared up.